Contrary to the popular notion that the organised labour was commencing a nationwide strike on Tuesday, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has said that it would only commence nationwide mass mobilisation and protests simultaneously on that date, and not strike action as widely reported.
A statement signed by the General Secretary, Dr Peter Ozo-Eson, the NLC said its action plan on the delay in transmitting the recommendations of the Tripartite Committee on a new national minimum wage to the National Assembly by President Muhammadu Buhari was largely misrepresented by some section of the news media as strike action.
Recall that the National Executive Council of NLC met on December 17 last year and directed that the congress holds nationwide mobilisation of workers and its allies if the minimum wage bill was not sent to the National Assembly to be passed as an act of parliament by December 31, 2018.
“We immediately announced then that on January 8, 2019, there will be a nationwide mass mobilisation and protests simultaneously across all states in Nigeria. This does not translate to a strike.
“It is on record that each time we had cause to embark on a national strike, we say so publicly without any equivocation. We still don’t understand where the story about a strike commencing tomorrow came from,” he said.
Ozo-Eson said that, already, all NLC state councils, affiliate unions and allies in civil society organisations have been fully mobilised to ensure the success of Tuesday`s mass protests in all the states and the Federal Capital Territory.
He said when a date is decided for the commencement of a strike, Nigerians will be appropriately informed.

Leave a Reply